Hi, I’m Mia and I am the Student Ambassador for the Engineering & Technology Careers Fair.
Whether you know exactly what you want to do or you are completely daunted by the thought of finding a job, the careers fair is an event you do not want to miss, here’s my 5 reasons why …
1. 80 recruiters under one roof: Over 80 student and graduate employers attend the careers fair – this allows you to get an overview of what jobs are on offer and where you would best fit in. Searching through loads of different companies’ websites can be a long-winded process; the careers fair allows you to see numerous recruiters all in one place. To see the list of exhibitors attending, visit ‘What’s On’.
2. Get a head start: Attending the careers fair gives you a great head start. It allows you to see what’s on offer and choose a career route that suits you. It gives you the chance to gain all the relevant information on applications and dates that leaves you one step ahead of the game.
3. Gain valuable insights: At the careers fair you can meet recruiters face-to-face and ask questions that give you more of an insight into what they are looking for. Through directly asking questions you can gain more information on their hiring criteria than you would ever find online.
4. Networking opportunities: Meeting employers in person is brilliant change to introduce yourself and start networking. You can also meet current graduates who are employed by the different firms to get some first-hand experience on applying and working for individual firms.
5. Advice, hints and tips: The careers team will also be at the fairs to give you some helpful tips on application processes, polishing up your CV and dealing with assessment centres… so get up and get going!
Mia, Cardiff Student Ambassador for the Engineering and Technology Fair