As exams end and celebrations begin, it’s unlikely that Careers & Employability is at the front of your mind, and who can blame you. But, when the partying is over and the reality of life after University sets in remember Careers & Employability are here for you.
The Careers & Employability Team offers a great range of services and resources for graduates of all degree disciplines and encourages you to visit them soon, so they can support you with your post university career planning and preparations.
Visit us in-person at Careers Central 50 Park Place (Careers & Employability Centre, Student High Street, Cathays Park Campus), or log on to Career Central Online to find out more about the huge variety of careers information, advice and support available, including: recruiters, time out, postgraduate study options and help with all aspects of the recruitment process.
The Careers and Employability Centre is open weekdays throughout the year and online 24/7, so there is no excuse – we are here and waiting for you to engage with us.
The Graduate Advice and Support service is a dedicated facility for graduates.
Whether you are looking for that first graduate post, find yourself unemployed or are in a job that you feel is not right for you, you can access practical support and advice to help you make informed choices and develop your career. In particular you can benefit from:
- 30 minute graduate Career Consultations with Graduate Careers Adviser, Melanie Wortham
- Advice on Interview Skills & Assessment Centres, compiling a CV and completing Application Forms
- Bookable Mock Interviews and Presentations
- Access to a wealth of careers resources, including job specific information
- Internet access for job hunting, researching employers and submitting online applications
- Access to subject specific careers guidance
- E-guidance service: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access to Careers & Employer events
- The option to receive regular emails and follow this blog
- Access to online vacancy listings
- Follow Careers & Employability on Twitter and Facebook.
The Graduate Advice and Support service is open Monday – Wednesday and offers:
Bookable Appointments: (subject to availability) from 10am – 12.30pm, Drop-ins from 2 – 3pm and Evening Appointments on alternate Wednesdays from 5pm – 7pm.
Outside of these hours you can use the resources in the Careers & Employability Centre, where our Information Team will be happy to help you, as well as our Careers Advisers and Consultants who are available for bookable and drop-in appointments.
To access this great range of graduate services you need to register online.
For Cardiff University graduates who have moved away and are no longer living in Cardiff, you are welcome to use our services, check online for further details.
Cardiff University Graduates may also utilise GO Wales, a Welsh initiative designed to support graduates in Wales. GO Wales provides:
• Jobs Growth Wales – paid jobs for at least 6 months for those 24 and under.
• Graduate Jobs Comprehensive – a job search facility dedicated to the Welsh graduate recruitment market.
• Graduate Placements – paid work lasting 6-10 weeks combined with a work-based learning award.
• Graduate Work Tasters – unpaid, quality work experience relating to your career goals.
• Freelancer Academy – a training course designed to help you to become a successful freelancer.
• Graduate Academy – a free training programme and work experience designed to help recent graduates kick start their career.
See gowales.co.uk for further information on all of the programmes listed.
As you can see, there is plenty of information, support and advice available to all Cardiff graduates and these can be accessed in person and online, so please do not hesitate to utilise our resources and expertise to help further your career.
We can certainly help you and in return we ask that you help us, your Academic School and support Cardiff University’s Employability Strategy by completing the Cardiff Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) Survey. Delete the next sentence (repetition) Our DLHE Team would really appreciate it if you can help by completing this statutory survey. You will receive your copy in the post or by email in November. The survey results also provide valuable information to current and prospective students. More information on the DLHE survey and the reports produced can be found online.
Enjoy your post exam celebrations and all the best for life beyond your degree!
Katrina Taylor, Marketing Manager